The Canadian Society of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Pediatrics both claim that children should have restricted access to handheld devices. This is because technology is abused by children 4-5 times more than normal and this can lead to serious developmental consequences.
1. Brain growth: The children’s brain grows at a fast rate, and if it is not stimulated by the environment around they can develop attention deficit, impaired learning, cognitive delays and not the ability to self-regulate.
2. Developmental Consequences: It slows down the child’s development affecting mental and learning skills. Children under the age of 12 should be forbidden from using handheld technology too much.
3. Obesity: Motor skills and physical work is reduced and results in obesity. Hence child diabetes is prominent with a higher risk of heart attack and shorter life expectancy.
4. No Sleep: 75% of children use technology in bedrooms and those aged 9 and 10 sleep much less because of that, which affects their grades.
5. Mental Disorder: Overuse of technology is the reason behind problematic behavior, psychosis, bipolar disorder, attention deficit, anxiety and child depression.
Source: Healthy Food Place